Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Still A First?

No, not anymore!

I was over the moon a few days after coming back from the UK as I learnt that I have got a First for my exams. The feeling of being one of those few who made the cut and putting myself on par with some of the countries’ brightest was great. A week after that, the breakdown was out on the university system and I logged in to calculate my overall percentage. As I scrolled down the page, I saw an ‘F’. I yelled out an ‘F’ word too. I couldn’t believe what was happening. A First but with a failure in one core module. For real?!

I asked around and all of my friends did way better than they expected. One friend whom I tutored and supported got a 2:2 mark. That reaffirmed me that my mark for the module could have been mistakenly calculated or keyed in to the system. Without wasting much time, I emailed the secretary of the exam board for a recheck of my script. Yesterday night I received his reply and my heart sank. There wasn’t any error in my mark and he even provided me with my raw mark.

So I called dad to tell him the ‘bad’ news. It was too hard for me to tell him what had happened that I paused for a while when he picked up the phone. I am sure dad would not have expected this as the other day when I told him about the ‘error’, he backed me. I am feeling guilty for letting down my dad, for not living up to expectations. I hate myself for not studying harder and letting slip the chance of getting exempted from a professional paper.

Now, it’s time to pick up the pieces and mend my heart. I will have to re-study the materials again and resit for the professional paper which costs 200 plus pounds.

Thank God, I will still be allowed to continue on the course after being informed by my tutor.

I will have myself to be blamed for what’s going on. *sigh* A painful and expensive lesson.


V

No comments:

Post a Comment